* Lays out, positions, and secures parts and assemblies according to specifications, using straightedge, combination square, calipers, and ruler.
* Tack-welds or welds components and assemblies, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment.
* Cuts workpiece, using powered saws, hand shears, or chipping knife.
* Melts lead bar, wire, or scrap to add lead to joint or to extrude melted scrap into reusable form.
* Installs or repairs equipment, such as lead pipes, valves, floors, and tank linings.
* Observes tests on welded surfaces, such as hydrostatic, x-ray, and dimension tolerance to evaluate weld quality and conformance to specifications.
* Inspects grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometer, caliper, and precision measuring instruments.
* Removes rough spots from workpiece, using portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
* Welds components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
* Heats, forms, and dresses metal parts, using hand tools, torch, or arc welding equipment.
* Ignites torch and adjusts valves, amperage, or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
* Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
* Develops templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
* Determines required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.