*Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials.
* Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water, gas, steam, air, or other liquids.
* Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation.
* Assembles fittings and valves for installation.
* Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building.
* Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary.
* Installs heating and air-conditioning systems, including water heaters.
* Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing.
* Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems.
* Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair.
* Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building.
* Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes.
* Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken.
* Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts.
* Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers